Sunday 20 July 2008

Stuff

I promised to write stuff here, as the fancy took me, when I completed my last post in that generic Sao Paulo hotel last September. Seems like quite a while since we were over there in the southern part of the Americas, and so it is.

For an update of what's happened since then, here are the highlights, in no order whatsoever:
  • We received a 100% payout from our benevolent insurers for all the stuff we lost in that fucking big fire.
  • We spent a metric shitload of weekends shopping to replace everything we lost, and yes, we still remember stuff even today. Lucky for us most of it was entirely disposable and we are definitely no worse off than before. It sure did make moving house easy.
  • We both got jobs.
  • Our surfing fitness dropped back off to nothing, and on the extremely odd occasions when there are both surfboards and waves about, the knowledge that it is impossible to stand up after your arms have fallen off from the exertion of paddling into the lineup tempers the lust for the sea. The only way around this is to move nearer the beach, and that seems an unlikely proposition right now.
  • I gave in to the myspace and facebook rages. Facebook does play a role in my life now though, and that is in the the low-cost ability to promote select gigs to people I know/ have met. It gives greater returns than sticking up posters in the dead of night.
  • I bought an Apple and a copy of their Logic software and am really not much better than when I first plugged it all in. That is through lack of focus. Perhaps this is the little exposing-of-my-soul catharsis I need to devote more time to it. I made a tune, but it wasn't an original, more an exercise in sequencing.
  • We bought a Subaru.
  • The rollerskate of death lives on.
  • I've played bundles of gigs, overwhelmingly in the funk vein.
  • I am a part of Boxy Lucha (www.myspace.com/boxylucha)
That's probably enough for now. Having recently remembered that I know how to write during a little project I did for Dan F, and simultaneously noticing that my vocabulary hasn't progressed at all in several years, I have decided to exercise this ability so that it doesn't slip into a terminal decline.

Happy days.

No comments: